The first historical mention of Beynac date of 1115, when Maynard de Beynac, donated to the nuns of Fontevrault. Simon de Montfort seize the castle at the end of the twelfth century, but recover their Beynac castle thanks to the intervention of Philippe Auguste in 1217. The castle remained in the possession of the family until 1761, when the marriage of Marie Claude de Beynac with Christophe de Beaumont. It is with Marie Claude Beynac that turns off the original branch. One of his descendants sell the castle in 1961. This is one of the finest examples of medieval architecture.
In 1827, the towns of Beynac and Cazenac merged under the name of Beynac-et-Cazenac.