The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a free-swinging rope bridge in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada . It was first built in 1888-1889 and today spans the Capilano River 70 meters high with an area of 136 meters ( 446 feet). It belongs to a 11 -acre private park grounds, some 800,000 visitors annually from all over the world attracts as part of the tourist attractions around Vancouver . The bridge is easily and quickly over the Lions Gate Bridge to get to from Downtown Vancouver .
The Scottish engineer George Grant Mackay was after his move to Canada in 1888 commissioner of the urban parks of Vancouver. In this role, he was responsible as an urban recreation area including for the rededication of the site of present-day Stanley Park . He also was the founder of the city of Vernon in the Okanagan Valley , where he bought up land and thus acted .
On both sides of the Capilano River Mackay acquired 24 square kilometers thick forest where he built a hut right on the steep western edge of the canyon. To facilitate access to this hut on the eastern edge of the canyon from significantly he stressed the help of two local Indians and draft horses , a rope bridge made of cedar planks and ropes made of hemp across the river. The Indians called this because of the bridge caused by wind noise at her as “Laughing Bridge” . Thanks to the rope bridge, the cottage soon became a popular tourist destination. In 1903 , ten years after Mackay’s death , the rope made of hemp was replaced by a steel cable .
1910 Edward Mahon purchased the bridge and the surrounding area . The following year he had a log cabin built of cedar logs , which acted as teahouse. In 1914, he reinforced the bridge with additional steel cables in order to improve their stability.
1935 bought “Mac” MacEachran the area with the rope bridge . He invited the Indian environment to build their totem poles within the park grounds , and so to give this its own character. This was now the biggest private collection of Native American totem poles , which is open to the public .
1945 sold to Henri MacEachran Aubeneau , in turn, however, in 1953 to Rae Mitchell resold the area.
The Capilano River runs north -south through the Coast Mountains of British Columbia and flows in North Vancouver over Stanley Park to Burrard Inlet. The Capilano River is one of the three resources that make up the Greater Vancouver draws its drinking water . To this end, in 1954 the Cleveland Dam was built.
Mitchell began a world scale marketing of the Capilano Suspension Bridge. In 1956, the bridge was completely rebuilt within five days in order to ensure their durability and reliability. With this objective, the ends of the steel wire ropes were cast on both sides of the canyon are both under 12 tons of concrete . In addition, Mitchell left the forest trails on the west side of the bridge to expand and converted the former tea house on the east side into a gift shop with mostly craft articles of the Native Americans . After Mitchell had retired for reasons of age out of business , revenue eased considerably. The commercial park was initially characterized for years before an uncertain future.
In 1983 the complex was sold to Nancy Stibbard . Since then, the number of visitors increased again steadily. 2004, the so-called Treetops Adventures was opened seven rope bridges up to 30 meters above the forest floor , between ancient giant Douglas fir on the west side of the canyon. In 2011, the park has been enriched by a further attraction , the Cliff Walk . Here is a path made of steel , wood and some glass on the steep slope above the trees away . The most striking feature is a half circle about 5 meters away from the cliff.
For sightseeing trips with limited time quota , the local highlights Capilano Suspension Bridge , Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain can be good together.