Since the eighteenth century, the Las Lajas Sanctuary is a place of worship and pilgrimage located in the canyon formed by the river Guaitara, 7 km from the city of Ipiales, in the department of Nariño in southern Colombia Ecuadorian border. This is one of the most important South American pilgrimage centers.
The Gothic church was built astride gorges, at the very spot where a little mute girl had recovered miraculously speak. Built between January 1916 and August 1949, it replaced a church dating from the nineteenth century and became a basilica in 1954. The road that accesses this place is covered with thousands of votive offerings for various reasons.
In 2007, a major newspaper in the country organized a competition to choose the 7 Wonders of Colombia, and the Sanctuary of Las Lajas gets second place, only surpassed by the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá.