The Keukenhof is a floral park northwest of Lisse in South Holland, Netherlands. It is open each year from mid-March to mid-May.
On 32 acres of parkland, floral companies in the region to expose their spring flowering bulbs, including tulips. Internationally known, the park is visited each year by hundreds of thousands of tourists from the Netherlands and elsewhere.
It was during the fifteenth century the park, part of the Château de Teylingen, served vegetable garden Countess Jacoba of Bavaria. It was there the ingredients for its cuisine, which explains the origin of the name. In 1840, the park was redesigned by architects Zochter and son, who had also designed the Vondelpark. In 1949, the property was converted to accommodate exhibitions of bulb flowers, at the initiative of the mayor of Lisse of the time, WJH Lambooy.
The bulbs are donated by the exhibitors. The architects of the massive park imagine about a year in advance and gardeners plant bulbs (hand) between October and December. Nearly every mass, a sign giving details of the exhibitor to whom the flowers presented can be purchased. At the end of the season, the bulbs are dug up for reuse next year.
The park is surrounded by fields of tulips, hyacinths, narcissus, daffodils … Several houses have flower shows. A mill dating from 1892 allows a nice view of the surrounding fields.