The Butchart Gardens in Brentwood Bay, British Columbia, Canada
Butchart Gardens is a group of floral display gardens located in Brentwood Bay, British Columbia , Canada, near Victoria on Vancouver Island . This is an internationally known tourist attraction which receives more than a million visitors each Anneee . Service , quality cuisine and entertainment complement meticulously maintained gardens.
Robert Pim Butchart (1856-1943) began to industrialize the Portland Cement in 1888 near his hometown of Owen Sound, Ontario , Canada. He and his wife Jennie (1866-1950) came to the west coast of Canada through the wealth necessary for the production of cement limestone deposits.
In 1904, they established their neighborhood near his career on Tod Inlet at the foot of the Saanich Peninsula on Vancouver Island . They fitted out a salt water pond , a bowling alley , a billiard room , a tennis court and an organ
In 1906, there Jennie created a Japanese garden with the help of designer Isaburo Kishida . In 1909, when the quarry was exhausted , Jennie made into a sunken garden, which will be completed in 1921. They called their home ” Benvenuto ” (” Welcome ” in Italian) , and began to receive boat loads of visitors in their gardens. In 1926, they replaced their tennis courts not Italian garden , while in 1929 their garden was transformed into a large rose garden by the designer Butler Sturtevant of Seattle.