The Ziggurat of Ur (Sumerian Etemennigur) is an ancient Oriental ziggurat with a base length of 62.5 × 43 meters and a height of 25 meters. The early stages ancient temple is located in the south of present-day Iraq, about 15 kilometers west of Nasiriyah. It was built by the Sumerians in Ur under the reign of King Ur-Nammu and his son Shulgi over 4,000 years ago.
The ziggurat is a massive mud-brick construction with 2.5 m thick walls of burnt brick. The corners of the building show in the four cardinal directions. Unlike other Zigguraten the heights of the steps are very different: The lowest level had a height of eleven meters, the second and third stages are estimated at 5.7 and 2.9 m. On the northeast side led three flights of stairs to a gatehouse between second and third stage. The plant was crowned by the actual temple for the moon god Nanna.
1854 examined the British consul John George Taylor ruins. 1922 to 1934, the British archaeologist Leonard Woolley by attempts to reconstruct the system. The appearance of the plant from the second stage floor remains speculative.